Thursday, November 5, 2009

Spiced Pumpkin Shake

I have cleared the grocery store shelves of their canned pumpkin over the past few days. Did you hear that there is a shortage??? Everything from shakes to waffles to creme brulee is sitting in my fridge and it's all orange. I'll post the recipes over the next couple days. This might be my favorite of them all!


SPICED PUMPKIN SHAKE

Yield: 2 servings


INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup canned pumpkin

2 T brown sugar

1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon vanilla*

1/4 cup whole milk
2 cups vanilla bean ice cream
½ cup gingersnap or graham cracker cookies, crushed & divided

*vanilla bean paste preferred


DIRECTIONS

Place 2 glasses in freezer to chill.

Combine all ingredients excluding ¼ cup of the cookies in blender and blend thoroughly. When completely blended, top each serving with remaining gingersnap cookies.

6 comments:

erin said...

pumpkin shortage?? the other day i bought 2-3 cans of the stuff just because i worry about that kind of thing happening around the holidays (no pumpkin pie on thanksgiving?? i'd rather live in queens). looks like tomorrow morning i'll be clearing gristedes' shelves.

so glad you posted this up... matt and i are making them right... now.

jenniferhoiyin said...

the shortage news makes me so sad! and also this recipe makes me sad because I really want to make it, however baby decided to have a milk allergy.
maybe soy will pass? maybe not. we'll see.

Julie E. said...

Yummy! I just got a pumpkin Italian Ice topped with vanilla frozen custard last week. I love frozen pumpkin treats.

Wendy said...

I love pumpkin EVERYTHING! Thanks for posting the shake recipe and i'll look forward to more recipes. (I bought 9 of the big cans at Costco for the season, and for food storage.)

jenniferhoiyin said...

made these the other night, so yummy!

Julie E. said...

Random second comment... I was just looking at your recipe again (is it OK to make it for breakfast?!) and clicked on the link to the "shortage" story. That's the news station that Erik worked at in Lubbock... he even did a story on the pumpkin crop one year. Gotta love small town news.