Monday, February 2, 2009

as promised

Here is the recipe that hit a home run this weekend. Rather than ordering Thai food in...we decided to take a whack at making a recipe of our own. Our expectations were exceeded (see Robby expression) and we devoured this dish until we could not squeeze in one more bite. If I talked to you on Sunday, I probably told you about the recipe...yes, I was still thinking about it. I'm currently eating leftovers for lunch and I may or may not have had a small portion for a midnight snack last night. I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as Robby & I did!
note: yes people...those are Sonic drinks paired with our very classy homemade Thai dinner, don't judge us.

CURRIED COCONUT CHICKEN

Yield: 6 servings

INGREDIENTS
• 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
• 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
• 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 2 tablespoons curry powder
• 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
• ½ green bell pepper, sliced
• ½ red bell pepper, sliced
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
• 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed, diced tomatoes
• 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
• 3 tablespoons brown sugar

DIRECTIONS
1. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil and curry powder in a large skillet over medium-high heat for two minutes. (toast the spices for more flavor) Stir in onions, peppers and garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear.
3. Pour coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar into the pan, and stir to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Serve over jasmine rice and garnish with chopped peanuts and cilantro.

8 comments:

Troy, Erin and baby Boston said...

Sounds SO good! I'm FOR SURE going to try it... Troy and I go out for Thai food a lot, and we always order something with coconut and curry. I'm so excited to try this! Thanks :)

Kaylyn said...

Looks delish! I will try it for sure.

About the sonic drinks...I don't think there is anything wrong with stopping in to get a cherry limeade or an ocean water to go with a home cooked meal. We do it often!

Kelly M said...

I was going to mention those Sonic drinks. . . . :)

Man, I had a can of coccnut milk in my pantry forever and just used it a couple weeks ago for some sticky rice with mangoes. That's the only ingredient I don't have right now, or else I'd try this tonight. You better believe I'll be picking some up next time I make it to the store!

Anna said...

I would love it if you could do a post on the difference between Indian and Thai curry (not the taste, I've tasted both) but on what they are made of and where to get good spice blends...I'm always confused on this matter and I would really like to make some killer Thai food at home (and probably Indian too)

Julie E. said...

Yum, Yum, Yum!!! I just got home from the store and really wish I would have seen this first.

Panda Queen said...

Um... okay, this looks REALLY good! I'll need to make sure my mom makes it soon!

Emmie-Lew said...

YUMMY! We're ready to try this recipe, too!
You know we won't judge on the Sonic drinks- nothing washes things down better than a Route 44-- best ice and best cups. Yum. Just wish we were closer to come and share! :)

Donna-FFW said...

This sounds so very delicious, looks wonderful too. Love Thai food, will have to try and make this at home.