Thursday, February 4, 2010

homemade granola bars

If your New Years Resolutions to eat better still exists and you are looking for a healthy snack to have on hand that comes straight from your kitchen, look no further. This granola bar recipe turned out delicious! It was so easy to make and you could easily customize the recipe to your liking. (chocolate chips, coconut, dried fruit, etc.) They came together super quickly, with little mess, and tasted excellent. It's also another great recipe for kids in the kitchen. Three cheers for healthy snacking!


Homemade Granola Bars
..........................................................................
Yield: 24 servings
2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup AP flour -or- whole wheat flour
3/4 cup dried fruit -or- coconut, chocolate chips, raisins, etc.
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line with parchment or grease a 9x13 in. baking pan.
In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, dried fruit,and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the honey, beaten egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well, folding the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool bars for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while they are still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting or they will be to too hard to cut.

5 comments:

Kaeli & Kyle said...

Is there a substitute you could use for the oil to make them less fattening? I know they say you can use applesauce most of the time but would that work for a recipe like this?

Anonymous said...

These look good! About how long would they keep? A couple days? A week?

Lauren said...

Hey Kelsey! You don't know who I am but I also have a cooking blog! I have a question.... I tried making Ina Garten's homemade Granola bars and they didn't bake all that correctly.... I will try making yours. Do you have any idea what could have gone wrong in the cooking process?
Thanks! BTW- I wish you had won TNFNS!

Anonymous said...

I have been making my own homemade granola for a while now but never actually thought about turning it into bars-I can't wait to try out this recipe!

StephieMae said...

I finally was able to make these and they were a huge hit!! I loved them and I can't wait to make them again!