Thursday, December 10, 2009

gingerbread men

My Aunt Kim is known for her gingerbread cookie recipe and thanks to the dozens she brings to Christmas every year, these cookies have been my Christmas morning breakfast for as long as I can remember. This is a great recipe that rolls out nicely and the flavor is superb. They are gracing my Christmas tree branches this year as all decorations are edible.

GINGERBREAD MEN
Yield: 3 dozen

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups molasses
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2/3 cup cold water
1/3 cup butter, softened
6 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS
In a large mixing bowl, combine first 4 ingredients and mix thoroughly. Mix dry ingredients together in another large bowl and slowly add to wet mixture until dough comes together. Chill dough for at least 30 minutes before rolling out. Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness and cut shapes with gingerbread man cookie cutter. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

3 comments:

Betsy said...

We made these tonight and boy were they yummy! Because we're suckers for sweets, (and have no candies for eyes or buttons) we iced them with a powdered sugar and milk glaze. Super good! Thanks for the recipe! It's going straight into the Christmas Traditions recipes!

She Loves To Make said...

Yay you have a blog! My husband and I watched you every week on Next Food Network Star--you were my absolute favorite. So glad I can still see all of your fabulous ideas!

She Loves To Make said...

Gingerbread cookies are hit or miss for me. This recipe looks great and I can't wait to try it!