Tuesday, October 27, 2009

cranberry salad

My family loves Thanksgiving so much that it not only comes once a year, but twice a year. The last weekend in October my family gets together and has Mock Thanksgiving. This is serious folks, we're talking down to the name cards and favors for guests to take home. Check out more lovely photos here. This was the first year I've missed it since I can remember. Such a bummer. To cope, I made a series of Thanksgiving dishes over the weekend. This included our family's beloved cranberry salad.
Now, some of you may turn your noses up to a recipe with mini marshmallows and crushed pineapple...but not so fast. It is so so so delicious. Sweetened cranberries folded into (real) whipped cream with crushed pineapple and those lovely little minis. To fool you all into thinking this is a much more sophisticated recipe than it actually is, we top it with pomegranate seeds and sometimes nuts. My mom likes it frozen while I prefer it just chilled.
Where does such a unique recipe come from? Well, I believe it came from my mom's 8th grade home economics class...which makes me like it even more.
If you are looking for a new cranberry recipe for the Thanksgiving lineup, include this one in the running. Recipe found here.

2 comments:

StephieMae said...

Oh this cranberry salad actually makes me want to start enjoying cranberries! How fun that you have a mock Thanksgiving! We always celebrate twice in my family as well!! And in October! Ha and I thought my family was the only one.

erin said...

that cranberry salad looks delicious and reminds me of our family thanksgiving favorite: green pistachio jello salad. wouldn't be complete without the minis.