Thursday, September 18, 2008

It's the most wonderful time of the year...


Yes. That's right, it is the most wonderful time of the year (for food that is). Let me tell you why... you can smell the sweet scents of Fall in the air which means that all of the primary food holidays are just around the corner.

In September, a true foodie will feel obligated to make something fabulous with apples. My loyalties lie with candied apples. All of the sudden it's okay to make soup for dinner and homemade rolls more than once a week. It also means that the farmer's markets and fruit stands are just about to close up shop urging us all to shop at least one more time in order to take full advantage of locally grown greatness.

Then October comes. This is the one month of the year when it's alright to have a bottomless candy jar and popping a bite-sized something in your mouth every hour on the hour is expected. Cider and donuts are a must for all family gatherings and the countdown begins for chili and cornbread on Halloween. To top it all off, homemade root beer with the effect of fogging dry ice in the black plastic cauldron that you continue to buy every year at Wal-Mart.

November brings traditions, classic food, and family recipes. Yesterday I made a Thanksgiving dinner for a photo shoot and our apartment smelled so delicious that I wanted to pull a cozy sweater over my head and write down all of the things I'm grateful for. Pie baking is good for the soul and comes with a sense of satisfaction that is hard to beat.

December is my favorite. In addition to the holiday parties, cookie exchanges, and hot cocoa topped with marshmallows, this is the one time of year that you get to end every conversation with, "Happy Holidays." Food brings people together. It seems to be at the center of every gathering where people allow themselves to eat whatever they desire claiming, "Oh why not, it's the holidays." To that I say, good for you. Indulge, for it truly is the most wonderful time of the year.

p.s. my apologies to those of you who prefer posts that are short and sweet.
photo: donna hay

6 comments:

Carlee Hoopes said...

Kelsey,
This post made me want to cry. Finally someone understands my passion for this time of year. You said it all so perfectly!!!! :)

Julie E. said...

I've already bought my carmel apple making supplies for this weekend. LOVE them! Isn't fall wonderful!

Deamers said...

Oh that looked so yummy, but I was hoping you would tell me how to make it all!

Emmie-Lew said...

Yum. Love it, Kels!
I have a question. Why is it ONLY okay to have soup for dinner in the fall and winter? Lew has a big thing with this- as does Dad. Don't we have a HOT meal on most nights for dinner? What's wrong with having HOT soup, too? Is there some cooking rule that I don't know about? :)
Wish we were closer to bake together!

Katie said...

Great post.


Yesterday I was watching a Discovery channel documentary about a tribe in Papua New Guinea. After something really awesome happened the family celebrated with a feast. I got a little choked up.

I love that food and eating together is such a basic human way to celebrate.

Heton Stamps Blog said...

Appreciate this blogg post