Tuesday, August 19, 2008

my perfect summer meal


Last night I had quite the dinner experience that brought back a flood of memories from my growing up days. Do you have one meal that your mom used to make that you would always get excited about? I most definitely do and I think all 3 Nixon kids share the same opinion: on a summer night nothing beats a messy sloppy joe, corn on the cob slathered in butter, and crisp watermelon. I might as well have died and gone to heaven as a kid when I came home and this simple summer meal was in the making. Call it trashy, Rachael Ray'ish, or just too darn messy, but the combination of these 3 foods is like a match made in heaven.

There is nothing fancy about the sloppy joe recipe my family uses, just saute an onion and green bell pepper in a bit of butter, brown 1 lb. of ground beef, and top it off with the all-american Manwich. Maybe this childhood favorite subconsciously influenced my decision to make "sloppy jane's" on NFNS. Unfortunately, Martha Stewart was on the receiving end. (who by the way has 10 sloppy joe recipes on her website)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Martha was just intimidated by you! She soooo needs an attitude adjustment! There is nothing better than simple pleasures when it comes to food. We can't be "gourmet" all the time and your summer meal does bring back memories!

Kelly M said...

Yum- that picture has my mouth watering! Richard doesn't like sloppy joes, so the only 2 times I've had one in the past 7 years were: once in South Africa when my mom made them for a bunch of missionaries, and then at a 24th of July ward activity just this year. Both times I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it! Definitely comfort food that brings back memories- like Ego eating ratatouille. :) Maybe I'll cook some up this weekend while Richard is at the Daddy/Daughter campout. . . .

Scarehaircare said...

Martha, schmartha. She seems to be constantly ornery.

I haven't had sloppy joes since I was a kid. You've convinced me to try them.
Found you through Betsy who is friends with my twin sis.

Chelsie said...

martha is uber lame...like she is above that!! i love sloppy joes, i make them all the time! hey i just got your message, the bbq is this saturday in the valley! i'll give you a call later to catch up! i miss you my dear

Shel said...

I love sloppy joes myself! I grew up with that type of food. On Marth Stewart She was acting like a food snot! You know She secretly loves SJ!!! lol!

Julie E. said...

That's my kind of food! Last night I was thawing ground beef for tacos and Jacob came running into the kitchen excitedly yelling "are we having sloppy joes?" We love 'em!

Danica Osborn said...

k, know you don't know me, but i've commented before, and thought i'd comment on the ever-popular sloppy joe. one yummy addition i was introduced to a few years ago was adding a can of cambell's chicken gumbo. i brown the beef with the usual flavors (barbecue sauce, ketchup, onion...) and then add a can of the soup. a slice of sharp cheddar or colby jack cheese on top is delish. i bet you could make them even better, so if you come up with the perfect recipe, be sure to share.