Monday, October 5, 2009

fudge

Today I made this delicious fudge. It took days to nail down what I was after. My goal was to create a basic fudge recipe that could act as a blank canvas making it perfect to customize to your liking. Robby would like nuts while I think I would enjoy just a hint of orange zest or crushed peppermint. Stick this one in the holiday file folks.

Simple Fudge (still working on the name*)
Servings: 32 bite size servings

INGREDIENTS
1 lb. quality chocolate, chopped
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp. salt

DIRECTIONS
Line bottom of an 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper or wax paper
Heat all ingredients in a metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth.
Pour into baking pan and chill, uncovered, until firm, about 3-4 hours. Run a knife around edges of pan and invert fudge onto a work surface. Remove parchment and cut fudge into bite size pieces. Serve chilled.

2 comments:

Panda Queen said...

Mmmmmmmm! Fudge is my favorite. I want to make this!

ok said...

I had to come back and tell you that I LOVE LOVE LOVE this fudge. I normally have great success with all Fine Cooking mag recipes, so when they put a fudge recipe in their holiday issue I was thrilled. I had 2 or 3 failures with it (following the recipe exactly!)... I remembered seeing this, tried it, and LOVED it. (Easier, simpler, way less effort and time, and perfect every time!) I had about half a batch left when my family came into town for TGiving... the night they came in, I went looking for it, and found that my dad had eaten it ALL! That means this gets highest compliments. It's amaaaazing!

BUT - I want to make a peppermint version. Would you just put crushed peppermint candy in? Or would you put peppermint extract in?