Monday, August 25, 2008

thump

Watermelons are one of summer’s supreme pleasures: refreshing, good for you and fun to eat. The trouble comes when selecting one from that big bin at the grocery store. For greater selection success I'd recommend using the tips below as a guideline.

• When you turn the melon over, the light-colored patch on the bottom should be a creamy color, not white or light green

• Watermelons should be heavy for their size ─ after all, it's 92% water

• The rind should be slightly dull

• Thump it. If the watermelon sounds hollow, it's ripe. This is difficult for less-gifted ears.

1 comments:

Betsy said...

All of the watermelons I've selected this summer have been bummers, so I'm so glad to get your tips. I also need a reminder of how to use kosher salt vs. table salt now that I went out and bought some. So, just in case you're looking for a post idea, I could use a refresher. :)